Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sincerely 'Fro me to You - Prom 1988

Oh, I even used my scalloped scissors to scrapbook this photo!

In 1988 it was my Senior Prom. I spent many weeks preparing. When you are a Senior in high school, Prom is the biggest event ever. Nothing is more important and nothing could stand in between me and the local tanning beds. Beds - plural because I went to one every single day, sometimes two in a day. And that was against the tanning bed rules. There is a reason for this - a little thing called skin cancer. Oh sure, I heard the story of the girl frying up her insides by spending too much time in tanning beds, but when you are 17 and the prom is coming, who really cares?!?!?!

I got the dress in Kansas City. I don't know if you remember I have mentioned before that I lived in a small town. My friends and I went to the big city to find our dresses so they would be different than everyone else's. Well, after I found this dress, wouldn't you know it was in the window (but in hot pink) of a local boutique in town. When another one of my friends asked if I would mind her purchasing it even though it was like mine, I threw a real live teenage hissy fit. No way! Matching dresses even if they were in different colors at the Senior Prom? The horror.

The hair and make up? I think they speak for themselves. It was the 80's.

Those guys flanking me on each side are not my dates. Just my protectors from my dates. My brothers. The one on my left is getting married in June.

Well, that's it. I think my hubby purchasing me a scanner was a dangerous thing. The photos, I can pull out!

For more great photos from the past check out Sincerely Fro' Me to You at We are THAT Family.


10 comments:

Happy Mommy said...

Girl you sure knew how to get that hair up! I loved big hair! And very pretty dress!

DD said...

LOVE IT! I love pictures of hair that you just KNOW you could throw a brick at the bangs and they STILL wouldn't move. We should make our policemen new bullet-proof vests out of that industrial strength hairspray we used. :)

Valarie Lea said...

Classic prom picture. I love the hair. Your tan looked great too even if you risked your future skin for it. :)

Kristen said...

I think you look gorgeous! Even for the 80's! You were like the Farrah of my prom. Seriously.

Thanks for playing along. Aren't scanners FUN? Oh, the trouble I have planned!

Darla said...

Oh I remember those days well!!!! I swear I started tanning in January so I was "sure" to be tan by April. Oy! Why they have prom the first weekend in April (how dumb is that?!) in IOWA is beyond me. Either freezing or raining. RARELY a good day.

The Mom Jen said...

lovin' the bangs!

The Apron Queen said...

I was just lecturing my daughters last night about tanning beds. I was trying to use that Mom tactic where you scare them into sunscreen by telling horror stories of skin cancer. They didn't seem to care. Then I told them that when they're 38, they'll have to admit to the dermatologist that they tanend in the nude & he'll have to see you *naked*. That freaked them out! :D

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays.

Alicia said...

Oh Lordy. That song just popped into my head, you know, "nanananana--You got the look!" I'm sorry, but you got the look. That was 80's coolness, and I never achieved it. You rock.

Sarah said...

I love your black gloves!

j said...

You are Rockin' the 80's hair. And that whole first paragraph was just me. I did that! I did two a days in the tanning bed and I heard those same rumors. And girl, my skin now....... LEATHER!

I can't post my Senior prom pics cause my dress was, um, suggestive. Not a proud moment!

Take care.

Jennifer

Blog Widget by LinkWithin