Saturday, October 18, 2008

The things they hear on the bus

Conversation with my 7 year old this last week.



B - "Mom, what does gay mean?"



Me - "It means happy."



B - "No, the other gay?"



Ugh!



Me - "Where did you hear this?"



B- "The bus."



Of course, the bus.




Anyway, we had a interesting conversation about differences in people and families and how we should respond to others when they are different from us. She didn't get everything we talked about and still wonders why couples with two mommies or two daddys can have kids because, "Don't you need a mommy and a daddy to have a baby?"

Well...that is a conversation for another day...hopefully before she hears it on the bus.






2 comments:

Ali said...

I can remember hearing truly awful things on the bus when I was growing up. There were some kids that were just downright lewd and immoral. As a matter of fact, it's one of the reasons why I'm adamant about taking my son to school (although he rides the bus on Friday afternoons and LOVES it!)

The Mom Jen said...

I had a similar convo with My Boy and he heard about 'gay' from another boy at school and we had to have a discussion about it. URG....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin