Okay, so in a post last week, I talked about how I get the winter blues.
As a matter of fact, since I posted that I have heard from you that I am not alone. I guess just being inside so much and the lack of sun really does have an effect on our body and how we feel.
Now, I want to go on record here by saying, I am not a doctor. These are things that make me feel better when I am feeling down. If something like this does not help, you can't get out of bed or you are feeling serious dread - visit your doctor. Don't wait to feel better. I have been there.
Okay, so these are to perk yourself up when the winter blues start to settle in.
- Prayer, quiet time, journal, meditate. Time alone with God is IMPERATIVE to my mental health.
- Visit with a friend. Now. Call someone. Go to coffee, lunch, the park. Just be with someone. It is a proven fact that friends make us feel better!
- Exercise - endorphins are released to make us feel happier.
- Buy fresh flowers for the house - Everything is so drab and dead looking in the winter. I need things that are colorful and alive in my house. I mean, other than my kids and hubby.
- Shower and put on make-up. It seems self-explanatory, but really I often just throw my hair up in a pony and put a sweatsuit on and run around. Sometimes, I need that but when I am feeling down, I try to do this next thing.
- Get dressed in a favorite outfit. It makes me feel less dumpy.
- Put perfume or scented lotion on. Something that makes you feel light.
- Get outside. God intended for us to be a part of his creation, not insulated from it.
- Play with your kids. Okay, they are fun!!! They almost don't even know how to be sad. Take a lesson from them and just play.
- Play favorite music.
- Go on a date with Hubby. Love, sweet love.
- Clean or organize. Works for me, maybe not for you. Sometimes the clutter weighs me down. I need to get rid of it to feel lighter! I honestly feel like my house is lighter when I get rid of junk.
- Watch a chick flick and let it all out! Sometimes a good cry is all you need!
Okay, so what do you do?
For more Works For Me Wednesday, visit Rocks In My Dryer.