Saturday, October 30, 2010

Stumbling Through the Dark

I've been thinking about the miners in Chile the last couple days. Well, I guess you'd have to live in an actual mine to have missed their amazing rescue. Praise an awesome God for their survival, faith and rescue!!! What a great story.

You may have seen when they brought the first miner up that they had to shield his eyes from the light because he had been in the dark for so long.  They even gave them some cool Oakley sunglasses to wear to for awhile to adjust back to the light.

Though not as extreme,  it did remind me of walking through my bedroom in the  middle of the night.  I leave a little nightlight on in the bathroom and stumbling through the darkness, I walk toward it.  I know that if I flipped the main light on, not only would I wake my hubby but it would actually hurt my eyes because I wouldn't have the time to adjust to the flood of light.

Then I started thinking about darkness as it applies to our life - in ways of addiction, relationship troubles, financial, depression, whatever - it made me also reflect on this concept of finding the light through that.

One thing we can be sure of living in this insane world is that we will experience darkness in our life.  In my life, there have been dark times that I just didn't see a way out of at the moment.  As a matter of fact, there is darkness in a situation now.  Probably like one of the miners, my wish is to get out of the darkness in which I feel trapped.  And as I stumble around in this darkness, I search for just a little light.  A little hope.

In my life, there is actually much hope.   An amazing family, a nice home, an incredible church community and a great job.   A new baby - how much more hope do you need than to look into the eyes of a new baby?

But I want what is wrong in my life to be fixed ...right now.  I want the darkness to go away - NOW.   Like a black cloud, it can shadow over the things that shine in my life. 

I'm reading a book right now called Sun Stand Still, by a young pastor from Charlotte, NC - Steven Furtick.

In it he reminds me of a scripture - Psalm 119: 105

God's word is a lamp to our feet. 

Not a floodlight to beaming to our destination. 
I'm reminded that God just wants me to take the next step that he is showing me.  To walk in obedience by the light that he provides.   I don't know why he doesn't let me see the whole picture.  Maybe I won't learn what I need to learn along the way if I did.  Like my eyes needing to adjust to floods of light, maybe I just couldn't handle all he has to show me all at one time.   

In the case of the miners it was in the dark that they learned to trust each other.  They learned they were powerless over their situation.  They were trapped in the darkness for just a time.   Who knew if they'd be saved.   They had hope they would.   What a lesson in hope!

I am learning to trust so many people around me.  I'm learning of my lack of power in my situation and every time I try to exercise my power, the situation only gets worse.   I have no idea if I'll be saved from this darkness.  I hope so.  I'm learning (once again) to trust God to finish what he has started with this particular situation...and all situations in my life for that matter. 

Someone asked me the other day, how I remain strong.   There is only one way and this could be the biggest lesson of all.   I am Christ follower and there is no darkness in him!  I must live in his light!  (1 John 1 5-7).  There may be darkness in a situation in my life but it does not define my life.  And that through this dark time my God will be glorified.  That how I deal with it will say to others how powerful and mighty HE is, not me.  How his light shines for all of us. We just have to keep our eye on it and not the darkness.  

The whole world got to watch these miners.  We got to watch them be pulled into the light.  We watched as people stayed day after day to pray for them.  We watch as grown adult men thank God and ADORE God as they are pulled from the darkness.

The whole world is not watching me and my family right now. At least I hope not.  :)  The world does not get to watch the amazing friends in my life that pray for me daily.  Most will not even see as I get pulled out of this darkness into the light.  But for those who are watching, will how I handle it communicate the glory of God?  Will I communicate thankfulness in the midst of this storm?  Will I ADORE him through it all? 

  For with you is the fountain of life;in your light we see light.   Psalm 36:9







post signature

2 comments:

Musings of a Housewife said...

What a great analogy, Janel. I think sometimes even as Christians, we choose to walk in darkness, even though we have the gift of the light right here at our fingertips. Why is that, I wonder, aside from the obvious fact of our inherent sinfulness. Or perhaps we just become complacent when everything's running smoothly, but when something suddenly goes wrong, we run towards the light. I know that's what I tend to do. But I want to walk in the light each and every day. Thanks for this reminder. :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Janel, you have great insight and wisdom. I pray your search for the light is working out, that you are even happier than you obviously should be.
I miss blogging with you, but life is busy and takes me away from this one outlet I often need.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin