Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Life Comes at you fast...

Oh, my last blog. It really is refreshing to go back and read that! How sweet it is when you can just rest in the blessing of a perfect day or two. Then it happens. Life. It comes at you fast.

The rest of the week proceeds a little like this.
My 14 year old niece is assaulted. Not hospitalized, but badly injured. It is an entire post in itself, so I won't go into it, but what a disturbing story. She is away from home and I can't even hug her or take care of her. All I can do is pray. Her pretty face is posted to the right with my daughter. I can't imagine the cuts, bruises and swollen eyes she now has.

My 3 year old son got in trouble on his 4th day of preschool. Apparently, he was saying potty words in class and actually had to be taken out of class. Okay, so my little sweet boy is changing. He is defiant a lot, he is wild a lot, he says words he is not supposed to say and is basically testing boundaries all over the place. Age 3 is not my favorite. It was hard for me with B. and it proves to be difficult with L. And on top of it - boys are just different. Oh, parenting - what a humble experience.

I balanced my checkbook only to realize I spent too much - AGAIN! So, I had to ask my husband for more money only to hear him remind me of how much I am already spending. Again - humbled.

I was late in picking up my child and her friend from the bus stop. Her parents were to be late coming home that day and asked me to take her home with us. They were a little disappointed in me to find the girls on thier doorstep alone and me not yet there. (It was only a couple minutes) Oh, so humbling!

And for that matter, I've been late every where I have been this week. "Sorry, I'm late, please forgive me." Humbled yet again.

Snapped at my husband over nothing - "Please forgive me." Humbled again.

And the list of the little aggrevations in life and humbleing experiences go on and on. Not anything life shattering, but certainly different than my earlier "high on life" post.

My test this week? Can I find blessings in it all? Can I still worship God and love God, like I was in my last post, in light of all the crud that happens daily? The bible tells me yes! Yes, I can and I absolutely should.

My friend reminds me of this scripture. James 1:2-4 (The Message) Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.

And then this in James 1: 5-6 (NLT) If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. 6 But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind.

Well that certainly rings familiar in comparison to my last post. Jeremiah 29:13 - seek God with all your heart. James 1:6 But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone.

Oh, isn't it challenging when life comes at you fast? It is so challenging for me to not depend on my own ways to deal with the yuckiness of that life sometimes brings, but to continue to look to God. To seek only Him and his ways when dealing with those aggravations.

So, here they are: The blessings in this week:

  • My neice is coming back home to NC and was not injured worse.
  • I was able to talk with my son's teacher and show her my heart a bit. I was able to get to know her better and agree to share in the trials and successess as my sweet baby grows into a little boy.
  • I am able to start understanding the differences in my girl and my boy - I need to parent differently.
  • I am convicted again that I need to manage my time and my money better. This is a constant battle for me and just when I think I have it all under control I am reminded to give up the control to God - again - in all areas of my life.
  • To be humbled is a blessing in itself. For me it keeps pride at bay.

Seeking God, giving up control in all things, finding his blessing in all situations - it takes practice.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin