Saturday, November 17, 2007

Ode to B


This is one of my favorite pictures of my daughter. It was taken 2 years ago at Disney and she was looking over a map with a little boy that we met that day in the hotel. He was from Norway and that is soda in his glass, by the way. This was about the last year she would wear these cute little bows in her hair and that the dimples still existed in her little elbow.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, we did not know what sex she was. We wanted a surprise! We decorated the room in bright bugs and bought everything in yellow or white. My MIL named the baby, Fred - affectionately, of course, and not the real boy name we had picked out.

In my heart I knew she was a girl. I told everyone it was a boy, but I really knew she was a girl. Now don't get me wrong, I was blessed to be pregnant and love having a boy beyond comprehension. I would have been happy with a girl or a boy and am incredibly happy to have one of each now. I just really wanted a girl. I wanted this permanent friend, a shopping partner for life and the sweetness of a little pink girl. I wanted bows and dresses, Barbies and make-up. You see, I am all girl and I really did want a mini me.

When they delivered B and the doctor said, "It's a girl!", I sobbed. I delivered her medication-free and was in a lot of pain so mostly I was sobbing for this whole deal to be over! No really, I was just overjoyed! It was the first time I have ever seen my husband cry. I knew very soon what my MIL meant when she said that my heart would now walk about the outside of my body. I was so in love with this girl. I immediately started buying pink! I dolled up her bug room to make it more girly and quickly introduced her to the mall.

We really do call her B or Boo, but never Fred anymore. She would just die if we did, being the girly girl that she is. She is named after my husband's grandmother and follows in her footsteps in having a heart straight after God.

She is all of these things:
Smart and quick
Pretty and fun
Sweet, yet feisty
Dramatic, yet pensive
Affectionate, but reserved

She is all this and more...

She cries when her grandparents or cousins leave after a visit. She shares the love of Jesus with her friends. She very often calls me on a wrong attitude and teaches me about my own faith a lot. She plays with her little brother and wants me to have another. She is the social butterfly of the neighborhood. She likes to lead but will go with the flow to keep the peace, too. Her favorite subject is math - I hate math. She sings, dances her heart out and is my girly girl. She is not mini-me. No, she is so much better than me. I would guess one day that I will want to follow in her footsteps.

She is a good girl and I am proud to be called mom by her. Happy Birthday sweet girl!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin