Saturday, January 12, 2008

Her birthday, His kidneys

Last night, I went to a little surprise birthday dinner for my friend. Her husband arranged it. That is nice in itself. Some husbands have a hard enough time remembering birthdays much less planning the details of a surprise party. This was unique though. This husband has been planning it for her for about 2 weeks.

And on Tuesday of this week - 4 days before her birthday, he had 2 kidneys removed.

One of them had some cancer on it.

Oh, I guess I should let you in on that he does have another healthy kidney as he is a kidney transplant recipient going on about 10 or so years now (I think - don't quote me on that). The 2 that were removed were not healthy.

This is a great couple. They are heavily involved in our church, the homeless ministry in our community, with the YMCA and have many wonderful friends and family. This is just one act of the kind of things they do. They think about others. Even when one of them is facing a major surgery he thought about her. He thought about how tired she would be after being at the hospital by him for days on end. He wanted her day to be special. And I believe it was a special treat for her. She said so anyway.

This is the thing. He has been in a huge amount of pain. They say more than his actual kidney transplant. He is recovering well but could use some more prayers. He should be home soon and friends have them covered in meals and help. But prayers - always good to have more of those. Thanks y'all.

2 comments:

Lysa TerKeurst said...

I am praying for your friend right now. And I am so touched to be listed in your sidebar. Thanks for that~
What an amazingly cute family and dog you have!!!
Sweet Blessings~

The Buntens said...

Thank you Lysa for leaving a comment! I am honored to say the least. I am so inspired by P31 Ministries, you and Renee. Renee spoke at our womens retreat this past fall. It was awesome and a blessing to meet her. I hope to meet you someday, too. Blessings to you as well as you continue to inspire by just being real.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin