Thursday, January 10, 2008

Useful Information - Really it is

I have a few friends that wear the crown of Recycle Queen around here. They really amaze me with the lengths that they go to recycle things I would never even think about. It is so great to have them around and make me think, " Hmmm, can this be recycled?" One of my friends saves her recyclables when she is traveling and travels home with them so she can be sure they are recycled. See what I mean? They really think outside the box! That would never even occur to me.

Don't get me wrong - I recycle. Members of my family make fun of me because, yes, I have gone through their trash to take recycling out, clean it and place it in the bin where God and the sanitary department intended it to be.

I think that recycling is a good thing to be sure and my bin is more full than my trash can on trash day. I know you are impressed now. Really, I am actually shocked that more towns do not make it easier. It is a tragedy to say the least. Luckily, our town does. I guess it is the advantage to living in a town where the landfill is less than 10 miles away. Yes, it is and don't even get me started on that.

So, I get this email from my friend today where you can now actually mail some of your recycling! More specifically, the Styrofoam packaging that comes in a package when you order something like furniture or buy something like a radio. You know, that hard Styrofoam stuff that keeps whatever is in the box from shifting and getting damaged. It's really important stuff and it comes in most packages and is definitely not good for the landfills. I always wonder what to do with it!

One side note here: I just have to wonder and really, I am just wondering because maybe it makes total sense to do this and someone will explain it to me. Please do. :)

But, does it make sense to package these packaging materials in a box (recycled, of course), tape it up, drive it to the post office and then have the post office use gasoline to send this stuff to where ever it goes? Things that make me go hmmm. Is it a waste of other resources or is it really a good idea to save this stuff and send it away? This website says yes!

Anyway, here is the address in case you want to send your Styrofoam packaging and some tips from one of my friends.

The Website is :
www.epspackaging.org

Address:

Alliance of Foam Packaging Recyclers
128 Cronson Boulevard
Suite 201
Crofton, MD 21114
410-451-8340

*Popcorn Styrofoam and be recycled at some UPS stores.

*Another interesting note...did you see that China banned use of all plastic bags at stores and they charge for use of paper bags. Wonder when we will see that?? Wonder, I do. Oh, I will be in such trouble as I am always either forgetting my canvas bags or I buy too much and do not have enough of them for my groceries.


Please leave any of your best recycling tips! Not only will I use them, but then I can sound really smart when I tell the Recycle Queens these new ideas!!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I recycle just all my paper, pastic, glass and metal btu I just don't see myself mailing styrofoam...I still have Christmas presents that need to be mailed to NY!

Whenever I get those packaging peanuts I offer them on Freecycle. Lots of people have home businesses and they are happy to have them.

Sarah said...

Woops...that should have said, "I recycle just about all..."

The Buntens said...

That is kind of how I was feeling. But then I felt guilty that I would not want to go to those lengths.
Oh, do the things I can feel guilty about really ever end!?!:)

Anonymous said...

This blog gives very good information related to Recycling Tips that there are some key factors to consider the waste or the recycling system. They are budget, number of compartments, space, location, installing etc:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin