Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Church Billboards

Sin Usually Begins as Something Fun

Seen on a sign outside a church in Somewhere, South Carolina




I live in the bible belt and as we travel the back roads of this area, I find it pretty interesting to read the billboards or signs outside the little churches along the road. The words above are from one I saw a few weeks ago while driving back from the big canoe trip.


Most of the time it is a verse or a quick summary of the series that the preacher is speaking on that coming Sunday or the weeks to come. I occasionally find it inspirational or sometimes my curiosity is peaked

I especially enjoy the churches who name their series in creative ways, though.

They will usually do a play on words to make it more relevant. Ours does this a lot and it does really peak my interest for the up and coming weeks. Like Grace Anatomy or BMPR STKR RLGN (Bumper Sticker Religion) - it was one of my all time favorite series.


However, I wonder what a sign like the one at the top says to someone who doesn't attend church or is far away from God. Or to someone who wants to enter a church, but is afraid of being judged for their "fun" lifestyle?

Is it any wonder that some Christian churches are dying in this country?

I mean, who would be driving by that church and say - "Now there is a church I want to be a part of - I need a little less fun in my life! Sign me up!"
That just totally reminded me of a line from Billy Joel's song Only the Good Die Young. "
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than
cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun..."

Not that I feel that way. At all.
Or that I am basing my theology on 70's music. I'm not.
I'm just sayin'.

Anyway... Thoughts?


4 comments:

happyathome said...

The "I need a little less fun in my life, sign me up" is amusing!

fortyb4forty said...

Honestly I don't like the signs. People who don't regularly attend church probably don't get it or are offended by most of the signs.
Not all signs are terrible but they are few.

Amy said...

Janel,

I saw a sign on a church that said "Walmart is not the only savings place". I did smile at that and I do enjoy reading church signs too...but...

I think a non believer won't get it because they don't know understand why they need to be saved or what the savings is...from 'what' they may think. One has to realize they are lost in order to be saved. And I don't think a billboard sign will do it...however you don't know...God can use anything tug on people's hearts. And a church sign may be one of those stepping stones along the path to a relationship with God.

But I agree...'a little less fun in my life' may not sent the bus loads to church!

The Buntens said...

Great point Amy. I was counting on you to chime in! Thanks girl.

I am sure the church meant well with the sign. It just struck me as funny.



I guess I am not too far away from the time when I looked at the signs from the outside, not being a church attender, and wondered what it was all about.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin