Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What's On My Nightstand?

What's On Your NightstandI know this little carnival was yesterday but I forgot and then I remembered today and it is still there so...I am going to join in because I love the two books I am reading right now.


I cannot put this one down.
It is a true story but you will not believe it as you start reading. I seriously checked the book several times to make sure I was what I was reading was in fact a true story.
The trade off of narrating between the two authors is very engaging. They are both funny and entertaining. Often when a book does this I will be confused but each of their voices is so unique you will know right away who is speaking. They have similar backgrounds in that they both grew up so incredibly poor but also they are so different because one is white and one is black. Hence, the title.
The language is real. The rhythm is constant and the story draws you in immediately.

*********************

I am also reading this. The author is Eugene Peterson - translator of The Message. The Message is one of my favorite translations of the bible because it is so simple and relevant to what someone might hear in a conversation today.
He is writing here about the life of David - called a man after God's own heart. He tells a story of how we, as Christ followers can relate to David and what we can learn from the hope that David found in God.
It is well written and engaging much like you would expect from Peterson.
This is a great book to read in a group because it follows scripture and you can discuss it as you read each chapter. It is a great way to explore the books of 1 Samuel and 2 Samuel.
Go to 5 Minutes for Books for more great books!
Happy Reading!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin