Monday, October 5, 2009

Magnificent Indeed!




Okay, so I know that this is not the best photograph (taken with my friend's cellphone) but it is a picture of us at the U2 concert from Saturday night.  Which was the BEST concert I have ever been to!  Best.Ever.  It was a bucket list item.  Go to U2 concert - Check!

I've grown up with U2.  They were the backdrop to my entire teen years, my 20's and then into my 30's as I belted out Beautiful Day with my kids in the car.   Even now as I head into a new decade, I can often be found rocking out in my mini-van to their latest album, No Line on the Horizon.   I don't think that I can pick a favorite song from the last 20+ years because I love so many.  But when they played New Year's Day, I felt about 15 all over again.

One of my best friends from high school and her hubby came into town for the concert.   The last concert I attended with her was in 1986 - .38 Special and Bon Jovi.    We are a little bit older and maybe somewhat wiser but we still know how to have a good time!!!   I can't even describe how refreshing it was to have a childhood friend here with me  - like medicine for the soul.  She helped me remember the fun that lives inside this body somewhere!  

My favorite parts of the concert were when Bono would just start singing something random - like when he saw the full moon above (it was an amazing night!) and started singing Stand By Me or when he sang Amazing Grace and the crowd joined in.  Right there, he paid tribute to the sacred.  That is why, all great music aside, that I love them - they use the gifts they have to make an impact in this world.  They shed light where there is darkness and Bono gives all the glory to God.   Not many rockstars doing that these days.

By the way, have you signed up with ONE?    It's free and easy to do. 


What is ONE
ONE is a campaign and advocacy organization with more than 2 million members committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. Co-founded by Bono and other campaigners, ONE is nonpartisan and works closely with African policy makers and activists.

***
Okay, I leave you with some links to some U2 music.   What is your favorite U2 song, by the way?

This is my latest favorite song -  Magnificent.
Or check out this duet of One with Mary J. Blige - awesome!

Have a Beautiful Day, everyone!

post signature

2 comments:

Stefunkc said...

I just gave my husband U2 tickets for his birthday! I don't know any of their songs and hate the crowds at concerts so our 10 year old daughter gets to go with him. Hopefully he'll take some pictures so I can post them!

Tatum said...

My honey and I also went to the concert and it was fabulous! We try to see every tour and this one did not disappoint.

My favorite song is "Mysterious Ways"!

Magnificent is also my fav from this last album.

When Bono started singing "Amazing Grace" I felt like in the midst of what could be a very dark environment God was glorified.

It was an awesome night!

U2 rocks!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin