Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sacrificial Giving

This story of a unemployed Portland man giving $20,000 to the effort in Haiti blows me away. To give so much when he has so little is truly an example of living from his heart.

I have to admit that I was a little moved by Bragelina giving $1 Million to Doctors Without Borders. That's a lot of money to give.  They've given more than many huge corporations.   I heard today that Madonna is giving $250,000.  My first thought was how nice that was and then I hate to admit it was... Really? Do you think $250,000 is actually sacrificial in the bank account of Madonna?  

I know, I know - I'm judging.   I am - I admit it.    Not good and certainly not where I want my heart to be.  

So, I'm just going celebrate a man who gave sacrificially.  A man who gave beyond his means.  A lesson to me to do the same.  I loved what he had to say, 

“Tragedy does happen to other people you know," Wilson said, "and it may happen to me but you know I believe you try to do the best you can and things work out in life you know? I just try to be a good person, that's all."

post signature

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm always blown away when I see the ways that God works thru people and the sacrificial giving they make, knowing that it all belongs to Him.

Melissa Angert {All Things Chic} said...

my 5-year-old emptied her piggy bank and gave $2.29. and that was worth more to me than any gift i've heard about! (i'm still tearing up! *sniff!*)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin