Saturday, August 9, 2008

What am I doing that I should stop doing?

One of my favorite speakers at the Willow Creek Leadership Summit was Craig Groeschel from LifeChurch.tv.

Actually, this is my third year watching summit and I would say he is one of my Top 5 favorites. Over the years, I have been impacted by all of the speakers in some way, but a few of them leave me with lasting impressions. Lasting challenges. Lasting growth.



He was alive, real and offered excellent advice for leaders and Christ-followers. And - he. was. funny. Oh, and looks a lot like Tom Cruise.



He offered stimulating and challenging questions, that seriously did keep me up late last night. Make no mistake, that was his intention. I think if it is enough to keep me up at night then I need to do something about finding the answers to these questions in my own life. That is what I took away from his talk. Here are some main questions he presented to us:




What are we doing that we should stop doing?

What is God trying to show you through your greatest limitation?


What has God called you to do that you’re afraid to try?









Some thoughts I had in response to his questions immediately are these...



For me the thought of actually stopping something I am already doing is difficult. I really need to think of it less as a failure and more of where God is leading me in a different, better direction.



My greatest limitation? How can I pick just one???? :) But what is the one that keeps me from really not being as effective of a leader as I can. Easy - FEAR. Fear of what others think, fear of what others are doing. Fear of messing up. Fear of not being taken seriously.



Called to do and afraid to try? Not sure, yet. I think working through the fears above will keep me busy for awhile.





Here is his blog, Swerve, where they talk more about the summit.





He left us with this Franciscan Prayer and I wanted to share it with you today.





May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths, and
superficial relationships, so that you may live deep within your
heart.

May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression, and
exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice, freedom and
peace.

May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from
pain, rejection, starvation, and war, so that you may reach out your hand to
comfort them and to turn their pain in to joy.

And may God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you
can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot
be done.





Amen.



No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin