Friday, July 24, 2009

The Calm After The Storm

We had the most amazing thunderstorm here last night. It was LOUD - almost as if it were actually in our house. The lightning was everywhere. I stayed awake much of the night just listening to it and watching the light show outside my window.

Inside I was safe, snuggled in close to Hubby and the two dogs. I have to say that I am surprised that the kids did not end up in my bed.

It was a loud but peaceful storm in a weird way. I never felt in danger or threatened.

Anyway, this morning, the sky was clear and blue as the sun broke through and I was reminded that my house, in a thunderstorm, acts like God's love in the storms of life.

In my house, I am not consumed by the pelting rain and dangerous lightning but safe in the arms of my husband...and dogs...and sometimes my kids.

In the morning, I wake to the sunshine - a bright new day. The ground is fresh and watered to continue to give life to the plants whose roots are running through it.

In the storms of life, while I can hear the issues pelting and see the flashes of pain and turmoil caused, I feel peace. I don't feel threatened by them or in danger from what this world has to throw at me.

And when the storm is over, I am fresh and watered because my roots are grounded in the right place - with a loving and powerfully protective God. I keep moving along and grow from the storm, stronger for the next one.

Lamentations 3: 22-24 The Message

God's loyal love couldn't have run out,
his merciful love couldn't have dried up.
They're created new every morning.
How great your faithfulness!
I'm sticking with God (I say it over and over).
He's all I've got left.
post signature

1 comment:

Kim said...

Wow, you didn't have any kids in your room. Both mine where with us through out the storm. It was loud and the lightening was beautiful.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin