Saturday, February 2, 2008

She Speaks Conference


I receive a daily devotion from Proverbs 31. I love this ministry that is designed for today's busy woman. I have it on my sidebar along with Lysa TerKeurst's and Renee Swope's blogs. I find inspiration in these ladies words pretty much every single day.

About 6 months ago, I saw that they have a speaking and writing conference every year in Concord. Concord is about a 3 hour drive for me. Since I have just started speaking more and really found that I enjoy writing, I was more than ready to register for this upcoming conference. The dates for the 2008 were not even posted yet and registration was not open.

Fast forward to this last month. My little brother, (who is like 6 foot 3 inches and not so little anymore) is getting married! He is 34 and has finally found the love of his life after many lonely years. He works with Wal-Mart as a manager and has basically been married to them for about 5 years. Imagine our family's joy that he found this lovely woman and they are going to make a life together.

Then he told me the date.

Then P31 posted the date for She Speaks.

The same date.

Well, obviously, I have to be at my brothers wedding. I want to be at my brother's wedding. I would not miss it for the world. Both of my kids are in the wedding, too. I am very excited about both the wedding and seeing my little ones all dressed up. My 3 year old in a tux! Really, this is probably more cuteness than I will be able to handle.
I thought for sure that God wanted me to be at this conference and that this was where I was going to learn how to improve both my speaking and writing skills. I do this a lot. Impose my own WANTS on to what God wants for me. I just love how I always think we are so in sync with what I want to do. Then He shows me what HE wants for me to do. And when I am obedient, I see what being in sync with God really means. Oh, how he must get a kick out of me sometimes.


Now, I don't believe the door to attend the conference is completely closed for me, just delayed a year. So, I guess for this year I will just have to practice my speaking and writing and read some books on how to improve them. And next year, if my other little brother doesn't get married that same weekend, I will plan to be at She Speaks.

I wish you would consider going to She Speaks! this year, though. I think it is going to be absolutely incredible! Especially if you blog or are in women's ministry. I have posted this post not only to come to terms with the fact that I will not be attending, but also so you might know of this wonderful opportunity. At least check it out. Maybe the door that is closed for me this year is wide open for you! Plus, North Carolina is BEAUTIFUL in June.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin